Concorde is a station on lines 1, 8 and 12 of the Paris MÃ©tro in the Place de la Concorde in central Paris and the 1st arrondissement.
The station was opened on 13 August 1900, almost a month after trains began running on the original section of line 1 between Porte de Vincennes and Porte Maillot on 19 July 1900. The line 12 platforms were opened on 5 November 1910 as part of the first section of the Nord-Sud Company's line C from Porte de Versailles to Notre-Dame-de-Lorette. This line was taken over by the Compagnie du chemin de fer mÃ©tropolitain de Paris and was renamed line 12 on 27 March 1931. The line 8 platforms were opened on 12 March 1914 on the first section of the line from Beaugrenelle (now Charles Michels on line 10) to OpÃ©ra; this line had been opened on 13 July 1913, although the platforms at Concorde and Invalides were not yet finished.
Concorde is distinctive due to its dÃ©cor created by artist FranÃ§oise Schein: she covered the entire station's voult line 12 with tiles spelling the DÃ©claration des Droits de l'Homme et du Citoyen of 1789.
Ezra Pound's famous Imagist poem, "In a Station of the Metro", was inspired by this station.
Places of interest
- The Place de la Concorde is on the right bank of the Seine opposite the French National Assembly, which sits in the Palais Bourbon.
- To the east of the Place is the western end of the Tuileries Gardens, including Galerie nationale du Jeu de Paume and the MusÃ©e de l'Orangerie.
- Roland, GÃ©rard (2003). Stations de mÃ©tro: DâAbbesses Ã Wagram. Ãditions Bonneton.