SeinÃ¤joki is a city located in Southern Ostrobothnia, Finland. SeinÃ¤joki originated around the Ãstermyra bruk iron and gunpowder factories founded in 1798. SeinÃ¤joki became a municipality in 1868, market town in 1931 and town in 1960. In 2005, the municipality of PerÃ¤seinÃ¤joki was merged into SeinÃ¤joki, and in the beginning of 2009, the neighbouring municipalities of Nurmo and Ylistaro were consolidated with SeinÃ¤joki.
The Town library, Lakeuden Risti Church and central administrative buildings are designed by Alvar Aalto.
The asteroid 1521 SeinÃ¤joki bears the town's name.
SeinÃ¤joki was historically called Ãstermyra in Swedish. Today this name is very seldom used even among the Swedish speakers. Literal translation for SeinÃ¤joki is "Wallriver".
SeinÃ¤joki Airport is located in the neighbouring municipality of Ilmajoki, 11 kilometres (10Â mi) south of the SeinÃ¤joki city centre.
The settlement spread in the area of the present SeinÃ¤joki during the first half of the 16th century. During the 1550s, there is said to have been three houses in SeinÃ¤joki: the houses of Marttila, Jouppi and Uppa. The house of Jouppila, which separated from the house of Jouppi, was established during the same century. All of the houses were located on the shore of the river.
SeinÃ¤joki belonged to the church parish of Ilmajoki like Kurikka, Kauhajoki, JalasjÃ¤rvi and Alavus. However, in the 18th century the roads from SeinÃ¤joki to the Church of Ilmajoki were generally in poor condition. Therefore, the inhabitants of SeinÃ¤joki and the neighbouring Nurmo built a new chapel together in 1725, which in 1765 led to the formation of the chapel town of Nurmo. SeinÃ¤joki, which was called AlaseinÃ¤joki since the Greater Wrath, became a part of the chapel town. The chapel parish of PerÃ¤seinÃ¤joki was founded in 1798, and the village of AlaseinÃ¤joki began to be called SeinÃ¤joki again. The very same year, the Ãstermyra steel mill was founded on the shore of the SeinÃ¤joki river.
In the 1850s, actions were taken to separate SeinÃ¤joki from the church parish of Nurmo. Ilmajoki wanted to connect SeinÃ¤joki back to its own parish. In spite of strong objections from the inhabitants of Nurmo, the Senate of Finland accepted the petition from the inhabitants of SeinÃ¤joki in 1863, to form a chapel congregation of their own. SeinÃ¤joki got an independent local government in 1868. In 1900, SeinÃ¤joki became an independent municipality.
SeinÃ¤joki has grown around a few important railroad crossings. The Tampere â" Vaasa railway, which passes through SeinÃ¤joki, was inaugurated in 1883. The track, along with the Kokkola track that was opened for rail service in 1885, and the Kristiinankaupunki track which had been completed in 1913, raised SeinÃ¤joki as an important railway crossing section in Finland. In the early 1970s, a direct railway between Tampere and SeinÃ¤joki was opened, and the services of SeinÃ¤joki improved further.
After the Winter War and Continuation War, some refugees from Jaakkima and Lumivaara were resettled to SeinÃ¤joki.
There are many kinds of cultural events in SeinÃ¤joki nowadays. For example, SeinÃ¤joki is known for hosting three large summer events: Tangomarkkinat, which is a tango festival attracting more than 100,000 visitors annually, Vauhtiajot, which is a motor racing event/music festival, and Provinssirock, which is one of the largest and oldest rock festivals in Finland. Rytmikorjaamo is a popular rock club, wherein almost every weekend play some Finnish or international artists. In SeinÃ¤joki there are also several other bars and clubs offering live music and other entertainment. The city theatre of SeinÃ¤joki has a wide quality program throughout the year, offering plays for everyone. The city orchestra of SeinÃ¤joki is performing many concerts in the area and has been making many tours in Finland and abroad.
- Lakeuden Risti Church ("The Cross of the Plains")
- Alvar Aalto's cultural and administrative centre
- The Southern Ostrobothnia District Museum
- The Civil Guard and Lotta SvÃ¤rd museum
- TÃ¶rnÃ¤vÃ¤ church
- The railway exhibition
- Mallaskoski brewery
Other points of interest
- TÃ¶rnÃ¤vÃ¤ Museum Area
- the SuviyÃ¶ trotting-race
- TÃ¶rnÃ¤vÃ¤ summer theatre - SeinÃ¤joki
- Jouppi mountain winter sports centre
- SeinÃ¤joki City Theatre
- Softengine, rock pop band
- Arto Saari, skateboarder
- Paula Koivuniemi, singer
- Jorma Ollila, former Chairman and CEO of the Nokia Corporation
- The Dudesons, stunt group that consist of four childhood friends. Also known as Extreme Duudsonit.
- Pekka Koskela, speed skater
- Veli Lampi, soccer player
- Mari Kiviniemi, politician (Prime Minister of Finland 2010â"2011)
- Petri Kontiola, hockey player
- Hanna-Kaisa Lehtiniemi, accordion player
- Katja KankaanpÃ¤Ã¤, mixed martial artist
- Population: 31,696 (2003), 35,918 (2005 after consolidation with PerÃ¤seinÃ¤joki) and 56,229 (2009 after consolidation with Nurmo and Ylistaro).
- Annual growth: 624
Finncomm Airlines has its head office on the grounds of SeinÃ¤joki Airport in nearby Ilmajoki. Also SeinÃ¤joki has a nationally and internationally significant food production and R&D industry. Headquartered in SeinÃ¤joki food company Atria Corporation's net sales in 2009 were EUR 1316 million and it employed an average of 6,214 persons in several countries.
SeinÃ¤joki also is well known for having a large number of SME's and a big number of shops for its size.
Twin towns â" Sister cities
SeinÃ¤joki is twinned with:
- Koszalin, Poland
- Schweinfurt, Germany
- Sopron, Hungary
- Thunder Bay, Canada
- Virginia, Minnesota
Media related to SeinÃ¤joki at Wikimedia Commons
- SeinÃ¤joki travel guide from Wikivoyage
- SeinÃ¤joki â" Official website
- Provinssirock â" rock festival
- Tangomarkkinat â" tango festival